Buildings of Interest

Home > Buildings of Interest
  • Britannia Bridge School
Grade L

Britannia Bridge School

Parliament Street, Ince

Listed Date: 00/00/0000
Part of Group:
At Risk: No

Description

Britannia Bridge School was built in 1906 by the Ince Urban District Council to serve the rapidly expanding population of Lower Ince, an area dominated by coal mining, engineering and railway employment. 

The school stood on Parliament Street, close to Warrington Road, and took its name from the nearby Britannia Bridge, which crossed the Leeds & Liverpool Canal and was an important local landmark linking the Lower Ince district with Wigan. The school became one of the principal elementary schools for generations of Ince children.

George Heaton designed the building, the noted Wigan architect responsible for many schools, churches and public buildings across the borough during the late Victorian and Edwardian periods. His schools were generally built in red brick with large windows to maximise natural light, spacious classrooms and separate entrances for boys and girls, reflecting educational practice of the period.

Read about the life and works of George Heaton - Link