Former Park Lane Roman Catholic Infants School
Wigan Road, Ashton
Part of Group:
At Risk: No
Now Brooklands Nursery, the former Catholic school opened -initially for girls and infant boys- in 1863. In 1896 the older girls transferred to Our Lady Immaculate School, Downall Green Road, and the Wigan Road premises were retained for infant children only. The niche in the Wigan Road-facing wall once contained a small statue of Our Lady. The Catholic Church retains ownership of the buildings, the former headteacher's house being available for rent by arrangement with the parish priest.
Text and image by the Makerfield Rambler