Mesnes Street, Wigan, WN1 1SS, Wigan
Part of Group:
At Risk: No
Built in 1894, for butcher John Henry Green, previously living at 45, Bridgeman Terrace.
The business was started by his father James Green who had various butcher's shops in Darlington Street, Scholes, Millgate, and Hallgate during the mid to late 19th century.
John Henry in 1896 became a considerable shareholder in the less than successful Springfield Trotting & Athletic Company.. The company and the assets were auctioned 1899 and sold to a Mr. Darbyshire for £6,000 on behalf of a syndicate.
John Henry and his family didn't stay long at Claremont and by 1911 they had moved to Huntsclifee in Parbold.
Green's Butchers were stallholders in the old Market Hall and continued in the new Market until the business closed in around 2010, ending 170 years of trading in Wigan.