Buildings of Interest

Home > Buildings of Interest
  • The Rams Head
  • The Rams Head
  • The Rams Head
  • The Rams Head
Grade U

The Rams Head

248, Slag Lane,, Lowton

Listed Date: 00/00/0000
Part of Group:
At Risk: No

Description

Originally built in 1731 -and, thus, a year older than nearby St Luke's Church- the Rams Head is thought to have been the first licensed public house in Lowton. At one time the setting for meetings of the parish overseers, ale was brewed on the premises until the middle of the 19th century.  

Believed to be one of the oldest pubs in Lowton, brick built with slate roof. Low pitched roof with small windows.

Text by Caroline Heaven and the Makerfield Rambler. Images by the Makerfield Rambler

Painting by W.A. Soper.

See Also

Unlisted
Cottages
Unlisted
3-13, Sandy Lane, WA3 1DH