Lowton Independent Methodist Church
Newton Road, Lowton WA3 1EB, Lowton
Part of Group:
At Risk: No
“Opened formally on Easter Sunday, 26 March 1880, the Chapel is built on or near the site of three predecessor chapels. The first, opened in 1794, had been taken over by the Independent Methodists from their Wesleyan counterparts. This made way for progressively larger buildings, in 1834 and 1849, before the foundation stone of the present Chapel was laid on 2 September 1879. As indicated by a date-stone set into the projecting east gable, the Sunday School adjoining at the rear had been completed two months earlier.
Accompanying the colour photographs are illustrations from the June 1880 edition of The Independent Methodist Magazine and an “Empire Bazaar” souvenir handbook of 1912.”