Buildings of Interest

Home > Buildings of Interest
  • Leigh Conservative Club & Assembly Rooms
Grade U

Leigh Conservative Club & Assembly Rooms

4 Railway Road, Leigh

Listed Date: 00/00/0000
Part of Group:
At Risk: No

Description

(J J Bradshaw of Bolton) built in 1879 during a period when, apart from 1865, Conservatives represented Leigh from 1859 to 1885. The style is somewhat eclectic (mixed); the ground and first floor windows with their cast-iron mullion shafts and entrance door shafts being Gothic Revival,the entrance arches Norman and the top storey, which is a laterextension or remodelling, is Jacobean Renaissance. The top storey has distinctive stone and brick banding, mullion and transom windows with stone carved cartouches above and brick aprons below and triangular corbelled ribs terminated with ball finials at the gables. The right entrance door led to the assembly rooms known locally as “Sems”. After presenting music hall entertainment, and occasional films, in 1908 it became Leigh’s first regular picture house and continued as a cinema to 1963